The final schedule for the Joint Entrance Main (JEE Main) examination has been released by the Union Human Resource Development Ministry. The first examination will be conducted from January 6th to 20th, 2019 and the second examination from April 6th to 20th, 2019. The ministry had earlier decided that the examinations will be conducted twice a year.
JEE Main I: Commences from January 6th, 2019
Online submission of application forms: September 1st to September 30th, 2018
Downloading of admit cards: December 17th, 2018
Dates of examination: January 6th to January 20th, 2019
Declaration of results: January 31, 2019
JEE Main II: Commences from April 6th, 2019
Online submission of application forms: February 8th to March 7th, 2019
Downloading of admit cards: March 18th, 2019
Dates of examination: April 6th to April 20th, 2019
Declaration of results: April 30th, 2019
Advantage: Multiple Exam Dates
In another significant change, these exams will be held over many days and students will have the option to choose a date. Moreover, if a student appears for the JEE (Main) and NEET twice, the best of his/ her two scores will be taken into account. “The main feature is that students will not lose one year because there will be two examinations before admission. He/ she can appear in either of the two, or both. The best score will be taken into account for the result,” Javadekar later said.
A score of at least 75 per cent in class 12 board exams or a place among the top 20 percentile of the Boards is required to be eligible for JEE main or advanced. For candidates of the SC and ST categories, this has been lowered to 65 per cent.
JEE 2019 Syllabus
This section will include questions on general topics, gaseous and liquid states, atomic structure and chemical bonding, energetics, chemical equilibrium, electrochemistry, chemical kinetics, solid state, solutions, surface chemistry and nuclear chemistry. In will also include the general topics, mechanics, thermal physics, electricity and magnetism, optics and modern physics.
This section will contain questions on isolation/preparation and properties of non metals, preparation and properties of compounds, transition elements (3D series), ores and minerals, extractive metallurgy and principles of quality analysis.
This section will include questions on concepts, preparation/properties/reactions of alkanes/alkynes, reactions of benzene, phenols, characteristic reactions, carbohydrates, amino acids and peptides, properties and uses of important polymers and practical organic chemistry.
This section will include questions on algebra, trigonometry, analytical geometry, differential calculus, integran calculus and vectors.
Clearing the JEE mains and advanced papers will make candidates eligible for admission to Bachelor of Technology (BTech), Bachelor of Engineering (BE) and Bachelor of Architecture (BArch) courses at Indian Institutes of Technology (IIT), National Institutes of Technology (NITs) and Indian Institutes of Information Technology (IIITs) across India.
Important Points to Note for JEE 2019
- Candidates can appear for JEE Main in online mode only, no option for pen and paper based test.
- The National Testing Agency (NTA) will conduct tests like JEE Main and NEET twice a year.
- The test will be held in 8 sittings giving aspiring candidates ample opportunity to pick the desirable slot for appearing.
- With JEE (main) taking place in January and April , students appearing for board exams will have more time to prepare for their entrance exam.
- According to the education minister, Javadekar, “…the best of the two scores will be taken into account for the result.” In case a student appears for both the attempts in the same year.
- NTA is going to conduct tests like UGC NET, NEET (UG), JEE MAIN, CMAT, GPAT etc, that were earlier handled by CBSE and AICTE.
- 3,000 centres for JEE aspirants to train them for computer-based examination, which will be functiona by the end of August, 2018.
- Normalization process will be adopted for the calculation of scores to have fair results.
(Edvantage Point is India’s go-to platform for education-related products and services. We are into admissions management for schools, career advice and counselling services for students as well as recruitment services).