Fisheries science is the academic discipline of managing and understanding fisheries. It is a multidisciplinary science, which includes limnology, oceanography, freshwater biology, marine biology, conservation, ecology, population dynamics, economics, and management to attempt to provide an integrated picture of fisheries. In some cases, new disciplines have emerged, as in the case of bioeconomics and fisheries law.
Fisheries science is typically taught in a university setting and can be the focus of an undergraduate, master’s or Ph.D. program. Some universities offer fully integrated programs in fisheries science.
One can apply for the Bachelors courses in fisheries after the completion of 10+2 with PCB group. To become a fishery or Aquaculture graduate, you have to pass the entrance examination called Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) Common Entrance Test.
For pursuing Masters courses like M.F.Sc from Central Institutes of India, you are required to clear the All India Level Common Entrance Test conducted by ICAR. Several universities also conduct their own entrance test for providing admission.
- As a fisheries officer, you will need to be physically fit
- Have good oral and written communication skills
- Enjoy outside work and a normal colour vision
- Bachelor of Fisheries Science (B.F.Sc) – 4 years
- Bachelor of Science (Industrial Fish and Fisheries) – 3 years
- B.Sc. (Fisheries) – 3 years
- B.Sc. (Aquaculture) – 3 years
- Master’s of fisheries science (M.F.Sc) – 2 years
- Master’s of Science (M.Sc) – 2 years
Top Institutes In India:
- Sri Venkateswara University, Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh
- Acharya Nagarjuna University, AP
- Vidyasagar University, West Bengal
- Fisheries College and Research Institute, Tamil Nadu
- Govind Ballabh Pant University of Agriculture and Technology, Pantnagar
- Cochin University of Science and Technology, CUSAT, Kerala
After you earn a degree in Fisheries Science, you can work almost anywhere in the world. These graduates have a great option in the field of aquaculture, fish processing export and import. Fisheries professionals in aquaculture sectors besides which there are teaching positions in top universities.
There are many jobs opening abroad as well. Some of the employers are:
- Avanti Feeds Ltd
- The Waterbase Ltd
- Nagani Group
- National Fisheries Development Board, Hyderabad
- The Central Institute of Fisheries Education, Mumbai
- Dof Aquatic Biology and Fisheries, Kerala
- Central Marine Fisheries Research Institute
Salary in this field depends upon the specialization you have chosen. The salary in the private sector may start from Rs. 3 Lakh per year. Salary offered in the government sector is different from the private sector. Depending on education and experience, fisheries professionals can get an average pay of Rs. 5 lakh per year or above.
(Edvantage Point is India’s go-to platform for education-related products and services. We facilitate online admissions and recruitment services for schools, offer career advice and counselling services for students.)