Art Director’s role can belong to any of these fields such as multimedia, film-making, gaming, media, marketing, internet, advertising, etc. Various artists may create or develop specific parts of an art piece or scene, but it is the charge of a sole art director to supervise and unify the vision. In particular, the art director is in charge of the overall visual appearance and how it communicates visually, stimulates moods, contrasts features, and psychologically appeals to a target audience. The art director makes decisions about visual elements used, what artistic style to use, and when to use motion.
What Does an Art Director Do?
- Determine how best to represent a concept visually
- Determine which photographs, art, or other design elements to use
- Develop the overall look or style of a publication, an advertising campaign, or a theater, television, or film set
- Manage graphic designers, set and exhibit designers, or other design staff
- Review and approve designs, artwork, photography, and graphics developed by other staff members
- Talk to clients to develop an artistic approach and style
- Coordinate activities with other artistic and creative departments
- Develop detailed budgets and timelines
- Present designs to clients for approval
Art director’s role requires a Bachelor’s Degree in an art or Design major such as fine arts, visual communications or digital media. Depending on their industry, art directors may have several years of work experience in graphic design, photography, illustration or other fields.
- An understanding of the film, television and/or commercial production process
- Knowledge of the different roles within an art department and how the department operates
- Artistic and drawing skills
- Depending on the size and type of production, you may also need specific skills such as carpentry, painting, sculpting or mold making
Strong competition for jobs is expected as many talented designers and artists seek to move into Art Director positions. Prospective art directors with a strong understanding of how to create intuitive, user-friendly designs will have better prospects working with interactive digital platforms. Workers with a good portfolio, which demonstrates strong visual design and conceptual work across all multimedia platforms, will have the best prospects.
The average pay for an Art Director is Rs.5 lakh to 6 lakh per year. A skill in Adobe Photoshop is associated with high pay for this job.
(Edvantage Point is India’s go-to platform for education-related products and services. We facilitate online admissions and recruitment services for schools, offer career advice and counselling services for students.)