Bartending which includes a cocktail creator, trainer and presenter is becoming an increasingly popular career option now. Listen to your heart before taking a plunge into this field because it requires hard work and long hours. You could start your career with a course in bartending. You can become a pro bartender by improving your knowledge in mixology, making classic cocktails, innovative mixing and infusing and most importantly, by winning people’s hearts!
Bartending courses in India:
- B.Sc in Hotel Management, Bar Management – 3 years
- M.Sc in Hotel Management, Bar Management – 2 years
- Diploma in Bar Management, Hotel Management & Catering Science – 1 year
- Diploma in Bar Management – 1 year
- Craftsmanship course in bartending – 6 months
- Certificate course in Wine & Spirits – 3 months
- Certificate course in bar flair – 6 weeks
Other relevant courses:
- B.A in Culinary Arts
- Bachelor of Catering Technology and Culinary Arts
- Bachelor of Hotel Management
- BA in Hotel Management and Hospitality
- B.Sc. in Hotel Management and Hospitality
The minimum requirement in case of most institutes is to have passed 12th standard.
- Communication skills. Bartenders must listen carefully to their customers’ orders, explain drink and food items, and make menu recommendations. They also should be able to converse with customers on a variety of subjects and create a friendly and welcoming environment.
- Customer-service skills: Bartenders must have good customer-service skills to ensure repeat business.
- Decision-making skills: Bartenders must be able to make good decisions. For example: They should be able to detect intoxicated and underage customers and deny service to those individuals.
- Physical stamina: Bartenders spend hours on their feet walking and standing while preparing drinks and serving customers.
- Physical strength: Bartenders should be able to lift and carry heavy cases of liquor, beer, and other bar supplies—cases that often weigh up to 50 pounds.
Places of work:
- Hotels and restaurants
- Cocktail lounges
- Pubs and Bars
- Private parties services
Job opportunities & Scope:
There are various career options for a bartender. From bars, night clubs/country clubs, resorts, hotels, cafes to fine dining restaurants, airlines, cruise lines they can choose their preferred working environment to suite their personality and bartending skills. They have an option to work in all service bars where they just fill orders and don’t have to directly interact with customers. They can also do freelancing without being tied down to a single restaurant, hotel or nightclub. Banquet functions almost always call for a bartender to cater to events like weddings, baby/bridal showers, communions, parties etc. Once they have gained experience in bartending, bartenders can start their own outdoor bartending business. They can also choose to work with leading alcohol brands for testing and training. They can enter into tie up with an event management team. Among these jobs, the most alluring one is the life on cruise lines where a bartender serves on passenger cruise ships. Beverage consultant or trainer are other options available.
After years of experience in the field career advancement is possible. They advance to supervisory jobs, such as dining room supervisor, maitre d’, assistant manager, or restaurant general manager. A few bartenders open their own bars.
Colleges offering courses in mixology/bartending:
- Indian Institute of Bartending, Chennai
- Tuleeho Wine Academy, Bangalore
- Liquid Art Bartending School, Hyderabad
- Chennai Institute of Bartending, Chennai
- Flarimania Bartending Academy, Kolkata
- Flarimania Bartending Academy, Nagpur
- Flarimania Bartending Academy, Mumbai
- Flip & Mix Bartending Academy, Mumbai
- Mixoflair Institute of Beverage Studies, Nagpur
- Wine & Spirits Academy, New Delhi
- Bar Code- Bar School, Pune
- Institute of Bar Operations & Management, New Delhi
- Barmaster International School of Bartending, Hyderabad
- Barwings Bartending Academy, Mumbai
- B’Mann School of Bartending, Hyderabad
- Sea 2 Sky India Human Resources Private Ltd, Mumbai
- Royal Consultants Pvt. Ltd, Mumbai
- A4 Global International Private Ltd, Navi Mumbai
- Job-Astro Consultants, Gurgaon
- Pace HR, Bengaluru / Bangalore
- Star Hotels
- Johnny Rockets
In India, salaries start from Rs. 10,000 per month but including tips and services it goes up to around Rs. 15,000 to 20,000. Highest salaries in India are around Rs. 50,000 to 80,000 per month. Abroad, the salary range is from Rs. 40,000 to Rs 4,00,000 per month.
(Edvantage Point is India’s go-to platform for education-related products and services. We are into admissions management for schools, career advice and counselling services for students as well as recruitment services).