Events are a crucial part of our lives. Be it weddings, birthdays, corporate events or any other celebrations, we spend money in making it happen the way we aspire it to be. Event management is catching up as a bright career option due to element of style, flamboyance, glamour and glitz associated with pertinent corporate and social events because of the increasing trend in marketing and retail sector. It is also regarded as one of the highest paying professions. While the demand for sharp and skilful event managers is growing, there is a dearth of qualified event managers.
Event management requires massive team work. A large team comprising of professionals is required to visualize concepts, plan budgeting, execute and organize events. It is all about keeping in order a focused and professional event for a certain target audience.
What does an event manager do?
Event managers organize events such as product launches, theme parties, birthday parties, wedding celebrations, exhibitions, workshops, corporate seminars, conferences, musical concerts, road shows, celebrity promotions, film awards, fashion, celebrity shows etc.
An event manager is responsible for marketing, designing the basic framework, hunting for sponsors, carrying out work on the logistics, locating destinations/Site, getting performers, booking the artistes, making arrangement for transport for different people and on the D’ Day plans, co-ordinates and finalizes every attribute of the event.
Categories in event management:
Private: These include theme parties, award ceremonies, weddings, and anniversaries.
Corporate: These include conferences, seminars, meetings, team building event, trade shows, business diaries, press conference, networking event, opening ceremonies, and product launches.
Charity: Charitable auctions, marathons, and fundraisers fall under this category.
In event management, a student applying for diploma course is required to have passed 10+2 in any discipline. Nevertheless, for a post graduate diploma in event management, a bachelor’s degree in any stream is must-have. Students may also follow their post graduate degree from a good institute abroad.
A student choosing an event management course should have a strong passion for conducting events. He or she should have good organizing ability and be cordial and flexible to carry out work for long hours. Graduates having excellent networking skills and public relations can apply for this field.
To become an event manager, you must have an MBA degree along with good public relations. Having a degree in public relations with Masters in marketing will be an advantageous point for this kind of profession.
- The job of an event manager is appropriate for people, who have friendly and out-going nature.
- The jobs require go-getters, who always remain on the move.
- They must have communication skills and presentable personality since they get to interact with different types of people from different backgrounds.
- An aspirant of event management should have a strong passion for events as well as flexibility of schedule and time.
Courses related to event management:
- Diploma in Event Management
- PG Diploma in Event Management
- BA/MA Mass Communication
- BA in Advertising & Public Relations
- MA in Public Relations
Colleges offering Event Management Courses:
- The National Academy of Event Management and Development (NAEMD)
- The National Institute of Event Management (NIEM), Mumbai
- Indian Institute of Learning and Advanced Development
- Event Management Development Institute, Mumbai
- Institute of Tourism & Future Management Trends (ITFT), Chandigarh
- RS Institute of Event Management, Bangalore
- MICA, Ahmedabad
- St. Joseph’s college of Business Administration, Bangalore
- International Institute of Event Management, Mumbai
- International Center for Event Marketing, New Delhi
- Indian Institute of Event Management at Mumbai, Bangalore and Pune
- Rai University, New Delhi
- Amity Institute of Event Management, New Delhi.
Designations for Event Management Professionals:
- Event Legal Executive
- Event (Budgeting & Finance) Executive
- Public Relations Officer
- Event Production Head
- Event Coordinator
Remuneration in this field varies as per the kind of event which is managed. After completion of the course in event management, one can even start his or her enterprise. As soon as an event manager gets substantial experience in this field, he or she can charge a fee ranging between Rs.50, 000 to Rs.1 lakh or even greater, depending on the client. In fact, event management is a multi-million dollar industry, which is growing at fast pace.
(Edvantage Point is India’s go-to platform for education-related products and services. We are into admissions management for schools, career advice and counselling services for students as well as recruitment services).